- 1. INTRODUCTION
- A. Background
As the shift in lifestyle and economic needs led to most of the people to be busy, especially in big cities. Almost all of them have high mobility and spends most of his time to activities outside. That caused some minor matters become less noticeable and often troublesome to require the services to get it done.
Services relating to all the economic activity that results are not in physical form. Product services can generally be grouped into Personalized Services, Financial Services, and Entertainment. Commonly used by many people to make ends meet the day is personalized services. Seeing the condition, many employers are keen to see the production of services as a business opportunity.
Some of this year instead of business services is growing quite rapidly, scattered in big cities like Jakarta, and corners of the city, especially at locations around the house or boarding house rent student employees / employee. This phenomenon has been very fantastic. With an affordable price is what makes people start using the services. Starting from the student to the current market spread to domestic markets, and others. That started to change people’s behavior will continue to grow and will become a lifestyle like in the Lakes developed countries.
Effort burgeoning services business has an exciting prospect for novice businessmen. To compete in this business, things that must be considered is the location of the business and market share as well as looking at the right kind of business competitors. The consumer would be smart to choose a provider which one to use.
- B. Problem
From the background mentioned above, the formulation of problems that are the focus of this study is how pereferences consumers in the decision in choosing the laundry services.
- C. Purpose
With reference to the formulation and problems that have been outlined, the purpose of this paper is to determine consumer preferences for decision in choosing laundry services.
- D. Advantage
Benefits of this research are :
1) Can be used as a means to broaden the information and knowledge by measuring factors that affect the decision of consumer preferences in selecting services.
2) As consideration for obtaining better information than consumers with My will notice attributes when a decision must be taken within the framework of enhancing the productivity of the company concerned.
- 2. DISCUSSION
- A. Consumer behavior
Many expressed understanding consumer behavior, one of which is consumer behavior is defined as an immediate action in obtaining, consuming and spent products and services, including the decision processes that precede and following on the action (Engel and colleagues – colleagues, 2000). Further consumer behavior is divided into two, the first is a behavior that looks the purchase amount, time, for who, by whom and how consumers make purchases. The second is that the behavior did not appear among other perceptions, memories and feelings of ownership information for consumers.
- B. Purchase Decision
Representing the meaning of the term purchasing decisions of consumers the best conclusion to make a purchase. Consumer behavior is critical in the buying decision process stages starting from :
- The introduction of the problem, namely the insistence that arouse and satisfy their needs to meet.
- Phase finding information about products or services required. To solve this problem, he sought more information, for example through magazines, newspapers, and others.
- Phase evaluation of alternatives in the form of the selection. At this stage the prospective buyer to use the information to evaluate choice of products or services that are available.
- Stage of the purchase decision, at this stage of the consumer purchase action against a product or service.
- Behaviour after purchase, where to buy it again or not depends on the level of satisfaction derived from products or services.
(Kotler, 1997) Consumer purchases are influenced by :
- Cultural factors, the most widespread influence in consumer behavior such as culture, sub-culture, and social class.
- Social factors, consumer behavior is also influenced by factors such as groups, family, roles and status.
- Personal factors, purchasing decisions can also be influenced by personal characteristics such as age and stage of life cycle, occupation, economic situation, lifestyle, personality and self-concept.
- Psychological factors, choice of products or services to be purchased further influenced by motivation, perception, knowledge, beliefs and attitudes.
- C. Consumer preferences
Consumer preference is a choice like or dislike by someone on the products or services that are consumed (Kotler, 2001). The concept of preference states that if a person says he is more like A than B, this means that all conditions under A is preferred over the conditions under option B (Nicholson, 2010). From the above definition it can be concluded that the definition basically includes an assessment of consumer preferences or best interests of the consumer. Consumer preferences determine choices if faced with a wide variety of products or services similar.
Consumer preference relations usually assumed to have three basic properties, namely :
1) Completeness, if A and B are the two conditions, then each person must always be able to specify whether :
- A is preferred to B
- B is preferred to A
- A and B are equally preferred
2) Transitivity, if someone says he is more like A than B, and B is preferred to C, then he should be more like the A than C. Thus one can not articulate conflicting preferences. Nature of the above assumes that consumers can always make a ranking of all situations and conditions ranging from the most preferred to the least preferred.
3) Continuity, if someone likes A, then it will continue like
- D. Services and Characteristics
In economics, a service or services are economic activities that involve a number of interactions with consumers or with the property, but did not result in the transfer of ownership. In http://aliciakomputer.blogspot.com/2009/03/definisi-dan-karakter-jasa.html, many experts are defining one of them is Phillip Kotler, Any act or performance offered by one party to the other party in principle intangible and does not cause any transfer of ownership. Production can be related and could also not tied to a physical product.
It is often said that services have characteristics. In http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasa characteristics most often encountered in distinguishing of goods and services in general are :
- There is tangible.
- Heterogeneity, that is, as a service in the form of performance, then there are no results even though the same services done by one person.
- Can not be separated.
- Not long lasting.
Five dimensions in determining the quality of services (Zeithaml et. Al. 2000), namely :
- Reliability, the ability to provide services in accordance with the promises offered.
- Responsiveness, the alertness of employees in helping customers and providing prompt and responsive service, speed of employees in handling transactions, and handling customer complaints.
- Warranties, including the ability of employees on the appropriate product knowledge, quality hospitality, attention and courtesy in providing services, skills in providing information, the ability to provide security in the use of services offered, and the ability to instill confidence in customers to the company.
- Empathy, the individualized attention given to customers as conveniences company to contact the company, the employee’s ability to communicate with customers, and the company’s efforts to understand the wants and needs of consumers.
- Physical evidence, including the appearance of physical facilities such as buildings and front office space, availability of parking, cleanliness, tidiness and comfort of the room, completeness communications equipment and employee performance.
(Christoher Lovelock, 1998) Quality of services is the desired level of excellence and control over the level of excellence to meet consumer desires. The two main factors that affect the quality of services is desirable and services received.
In http://jurnal-sdm.blogspot.com/2009/04/produk-jasa-pengertian-karakteristik.html, kind of – kind services (Converse, 1992) can be grouped as follows :
- Personal Services is a service that prioritizes the services and amenities, such as barber, beauty salon, laundry, photographs, and others.
- Financial Services consists of banks, insurance, investment institutions, public facilities and transportation services.
- Entertainment are included in this group is a business in sports, cinema, theaters, and other entertainment businesses.
- Specialty Services is one tool in the field of tourism.
- E. Laundry
Laundry is a word that refers to the act of washing clothing and linens. In http://palembangdeterjen.wordpress.com/peluang-usaha/ provider of laundry services has several types, namely :
- Unit Laundry or commonly referred to as the Commercial Laundry is wash services are calculated based on the unit cost of services dicucikan clothes.
- Waste Laundry, clothes washing services payment services based on the weight scales washing clothes in kilograms.
- Laundry helmet, helmet washing business in Indonesia has struggled a lot in the business.
- Laundry Carpet is one of the company’s business units Cleaning Service in Indonesia, and in a few years ago segmentation marketnya clear that a lot of corporations or institutions using the carpet as flooring.
- Laundry bags, wash bags, especially expensive branded bag, and the need to wear special chemicals and specialized expertise in handling.
- F. Discussion Analysis
Reliability, Responsiveness, Assurance, Empathy and Physical Evidence is significantly positively related to the Selection Decision Laundry Services. It can be concluded that there is a strong relationship between the independent variables and the direction that is against, meaning that if the independent variable increases, the dependent variable will increase.
Partially through hypothesis testing to determine the effect of each independent variable on the dependent variable.
- On the reliability of the variables were not statistically significant effect on the selection decision laundry services. It could be possible because of the ability of service providers to provide laundry services in accordance with the promise has not been offered. Such settlement proceeds less laundry clean, neat, fragrant and takes much longer because it was probably too much laundry services provider to receive clothing in laundry.
- At the responsiveness variables were not statistically significant effect on the selection decision laundry services. This can be possible because employees are less eager to assist customers and provide services, employees fast enough to handle transactions, and handling consumer complaints less attention.
- At guarantee variable is not statistically significant effect on the selection decision laundry services. This can be made possible because employees sometimes can not accurately distinguish the consumer clothing with other like clothing or even disappear confuse consumers lack confidence in sehinnga laundry services selected. And of course, things like this can affect the reputation of the service provider’s own laundry.
- In the empathy variables were not statistically significant effect on the selection decision laundry services. This can be made possible due to a location farther away from where you live or less strategic location so that consumers are lazy to access the laundry service provider. While contact with the phone to pick up or drop clothes are less effective because consumers have to wait much longer. In addition the package provided still does not meet the needs of consumers.
- In the empathy variables were not statistically significant effect on the selection decision laundry services. This can be made possible due to the appearance of physical facilities such as buildings and front office space, availability of parking, cleanliness, tidiness and comfort of the room, completeness communications equipment and employee performance is not too overlooked by consumers.
Based on statistical calculations, there is no variable most dominant influence on the selection decision laundry services.
- 3. CONCLUSION
Based on the results of intensive search, it can be concluded that :
- Based on statistical calculations, not the most dominant variables significantly influence the selection decision laundry services.
- Partially no effect, but if all variables simultaneously or together, the new found influence consumer preferences on laundry service selection decisions.
- 4. BIBLIOGRAPHY
Christopher Lovelock & Lauran Wright. 1999. Principles of Service Marketing and Management. Prentice Hall International.
Kotler, Philip. Amstrong dan Gary. 1997. Dasar – Dasar Pemasaran Principles Of Marketing 7e. Jakarta : Prenhallindo.
Kotler, Philip dan A.B Susanto. 2001. Manajemen Pemasaran di Indonesia. Jakarta : Salemba Empat.
Kotler, Philip dan Armstrong, Gary. 2001. Principles of Marketing (Ninth Edition). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey : Prentice Hall Inc.
Simamora, Bilson. 2003. MEMBONGKAR KOTAK HITAM KONSUMEn. Jakarta : PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Tjiptono, Fandy. 1996. Manajemen Jasa. Yogjakarta: Penerbit Andi.
Umar, Husein. 2003. Riset Pemasaran & Perilaku Konsumen. Jakarta : Gramedia.